An ornamental arched entrance built with red sandstone and marble leads the visitors to the perfectly maintained lawns and garden around the elegant mausoleum structure standing on the raised platform. Rows of palm trees on either side of the pathway with the water channel in between leads straight to a flight of stairs towards the imposing sandstone and marble mausoleum of Nawab Safdarjung more famously known as Safdarjung Tomb. Located close to Lodhi road, in Delhi, the mausoleum is dated to 1754.
Appointed as the prime minister (Vazir) of the Mughal Empire during the reign of emperor Ahmed Shah Bahadur in 1748, Mirza Muqim Abul Mansur Khan popularly known as Safdarjung was the governor of Awadh. It is believed that Safdarjung usurped the powers of the mere puppet king and treated his family cruelly. The emperor ultimately sought the help of the Marathas to drive away Safdarjung, the vazir, out of Delhi in the year 1753 and take control of his kingdom. Safdarjung is believed to have died in 1754 and his son Nawab Shujaud Daula sought permission from the Mughal emperor to build this garden mausoleum as a tribute to his father.
Described as the last flicker in the dying lamp of Mughal architecture, Safdarjung tomb bears a huge resemblance to another mausoleum in Delhi – Humayun’s Tomb. It is believed that the marble and red sandstones removed from the tomb of Abdul Rahim Khankhana were used in the construction of this tomb. With the striking features of char bagh plan (4 gardens), elaborate floor plan, extremely ornate facade and a huge raised platform with the staircase to lead the visitors to the mausoleum, the structure has a massive central dome. With the main mausoleum measuring 28 metres (92 ft) square, it is built with red and buff stones with 4 minarets around the main tomb.